Wednesday, April 18, 2012

System Requirement (Follow up Post)

I would like to believe Information Technology is the fastest growing industry in our times (I stand to be corrected), with such growth, organisations or even individuals invest a lot on technology. Some do so by funding start ups, purchasing software packages to support their line of business or sometimes invest the time and money in writing their own custom software or even getting simple website for the organisation (nowadays if you are an organisation and you don't have a website you are just in the wrong century). Since not everyone out there is a computer geek and not everyone can create their own website so that's where we come into the picture :) , great stuff!. You will need to tell me what you would like me to do you for (ooops!! Do for you ) You approached me because I am known to have the skills to make your IT dream come true. But since this is your application or your website, I have to do exactly what you want, if I have any suggestions ill communicate them to you and we agree on the idea, I can't just go crazy, its not mine, Im just a resource.


So for that process to be smooth and not bite each other's heads at a later stage, we will need to document these things, sign the document with hopes that everybody will go out happy when the project is done, that document is  as system requirement specification, ok I went to wikipedia to get an explanation for this term

"A system requirements specification (sometimes known by the acronym, SyRS) A structured collection of information that embodies the requirements of a system.
A business analyst, sometimes titled system analyst, is responsible for analyzing the business needs of their clients and stakeholders to help identify business problems and propose solutions. Within the systems development life cycle domain, the BA typically performs a liaison function between the business side of an enterprise and the information technology department or external service providers."
ok enough with the serious stuff, back to my point (Even though its not clear yetso the requester(you the client) will tell me what you need and ill tell you how we can achieve it and recommend technologies to use and give you an estimate on how long it will take me to complete it. Then we will eventually agree on it then I start working on the project, since I wouldn't want to be associated with failure (IT projects are known be a failure when the systems is completed and never used either because they are too complex or over the budget or just not completed at all. For now ill focus on the point where it wasn't used because it was complex (Not user friendly) ) I would want to involve the client in the project's life cycle, Ill do the design and will require his input or even just a rubber stamp that I can go further with it. Ill do that through out every step of the project. Now here is the challenge, The client might have requested this application or this website from me, it is not his core business, that means what I'm doing its not the only thing on his plate (That's Probably why he asked me to do it at the first) so what happens if he is not available to review this and what if he comes at the day I deliver and say thats not what he wanted. Lets look at ways to overcome such instances. The are ways and techniques out there to do things better, lets talk about them on this post...

1 comment:

  1. Hola Comfort, I think you are on the correct path, maybe I can use you in my project as well. Since we are both at the bottom of something with the potential to be up there. keep in touch...

    ReplyDelete